Interpreter - Columbus
Vocalink's interpreting services are designed to help organizations bridge the language and cultural gap between their staff and their Limited English Speaking clients and patients. As an interpreter, you choose which appointments you wish to take, as many or as few as you like. Your hourly rate is based on your qualifications and experience.
- Must have native or near-native fluency in English and in a second language (see list of target languages above)
- Interpretation experience a plus
- Have solid bilingual vocabulary of the human anatomy, medical diagnosis; treatment, disease, symptoms and results of various diagnostic procedures.
Requirements prior to induction:
- High school degree or equivalent (for ASL, Associates Degree minimum)
- Complete New Interpreter Orientation and Beginner Interpreter Medical Training (Unless already certified)
- Background check required
- Drug screen and proof of current immunizations
- Authorization to work in the US
- Have reliable transportation and access to a computer, internet and cell phone
- Complete Intermediate Medical Interpreter Training
- All interpreters provide on site or video interpreting in a medical, social service or business arena.
- All interpreters are responsible for their own travel to and from the appointments.
- This function is to facilitate communication between two speakers; it is not designed to be a mediator, someone who explains ideas, or gives advice.
- Interpreters have a twofold role:
- To ensure that interpretation events reflect, in English, precisely what was said by persons of limited English proficiency
- To place persons of limited English proficiency on an equal footing with persons who understand English. This creates an obligation to conserve every element of information contained in a source language communication when it is rendered in the target language.
- Interpreters will render a complete and accurate interpretation or sight translation by reproducing in the target language the closest natural equivalent of the source language message, without altering, omitting, or adding anything to the meaning of what is stated or written, and without explanation.
- Interpreter will maintain and improve his/her interpreting skills through professional training or education in the interpretation field.
- Be dependable and have a professional appearance
Job Type: Part-time
- Columbus, OH